HIRING LW ERIC Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
LifeWatch ERIC has opened a position for its Chief Technology Officer.
Job description and vacancy available below. All vacancies are stored on www.lifewatch.eu/work-with-us.
I./ Job Description
JOB TITLE: Chief Technology Officer (CTO).
LOCATION: LifeWatch ERIC Statutory Seat premises in Seville (Spain).
POSITION: Full-time, four-year term with a possible extension of another four years.
II/ Main accountabilities
- She/he will be in responsible for the consolidation of the “start-up” (first 4-years period) activities and early technical (including distributed ICT) developments based on LifeWatch ERIC needs and requirements.
- During this startup phase, she/he will identify and then provide fundamentals of technology blocks and platforms to be used, and also help LifeWatch ERIC visualize its “products” being based on the available resources and assets.
- She/he will advise and support CEO and rest of Directors to understand business opportunities because of the dynamics of change (knowledge of existing and emerging technologies), making sure that best practices are defined and followed by LifeWatch ERIC distributed technical teams. She/he will work in tightly collaboration with the Director of the distributed ICT Core e-Infrastructure who is responsible of the coordination and management of the distributed ICT Core construction operations.
- Therefore, she/he should be able to evaluate multiple technologies and identify those that best fit LifeWatch ERIC as technology selection should come from a deep understanding through a pragmatic approach, a long term strategic vision, rather than following the latest trend.
- She/he will ensure that LifeWatch ERIC technical developments comply with appropriate quality requirements, ethical legal and societal norms and principles in order to be further provided through the so-called Common Facilities (Statutory Seat and ICT e-Infrastructure Technical Offices, Service Centre and the Virtual Laboratories and Innovation Centre) and rest of Distributed Facilities. This activity will be performed in tightly collaboration with their Directors.
- She/he will be appointed for a four-year period and can be also re-appointed. In both cases, retirement date must be later to the end of the contract. A competitive salary, based on the qualifications and experience of the candidate, will be offered. Employment will be in Spain and follow Spanish employment law.
- This position is a full-time job. Her/his main office will be located at the administrative headquarters of the ERIC in Seville, being supported by the rest of the above cited distributed facilities.
- She/he will ensure the technological updating on ICT innovations of the ERIC ICT developments and its European and global expansion, particularly in tightly connection with the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) initiative, while ensuring action and provision of e-Services, including the development of products at different geographical scales.
- She/he shall be the technical representative of LifeWatch ERIC on ICT issues and committed to build strong and effective European and further international relationships on ICT technological-related issues, with a broad range of ICT stakeholders within and outside the ERIC, particularly the Research (e-)Infrastructures identified on the roadmaps of the European Strategy Forum on Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) and established ERICs through the so-called ERIC FORUM, and other relevant ICT initiatives from other continents.
- She/he will support the in kind contributions Evaluation Committee in regards to the valuation of ICT developments as “in kind” contributions.
- She/he will be Member of the LifeWatch ERIC Executive Board.
II/ The ideal candidate should meet the following requirements
- Have a higher university degree or equivalent qualifications on Information and Telecommunication. Ph.D. and/or MBA on Organization and Management Engineering is desirable.
- At least 12 years’ accredited professional experience on international cooperation projects and initiatives on environmental and high-level institutional domains in the said areas of ICT and research policy frameworks, including European Research e-Infrastructures policies and recommendations implementation.
- Accredited professional experience in the area of biodiversity and ecosystem research bioinformatics as technical director or leader of the design, construction, deployment and operational maintenance of research infrastructures facilities in centres, universities or agencies or equivalent public policy units.
- Accredited professional experience on managerial and technical implementation issues related to EU funding instruments, particularly R&I Framework Programmes and European Structural and Investment Funds (ESIF).
- Accredited professional experience and participation in initiatives concerning the construction and deployment of European Research Infrastructure Consortia (ERIC) and strategic ICT-related particularly the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC).
- Have understanding of current and emerging agendas and challenges on ICT developments, and in particular experience in project-based approaches concerning the design, construction and operational maintenance of distributed ICT developments.
- Have proven organization, management and communicative skills.
- Accredited knowledge on the Spanish (ERIC Hosting Member State) administrative system, although not a requirement, should be taken into consideration.
- Knowledge of English language, the working language of LifeWatch ERIC under article 1.3 of its Statutes. Knowledge of other European languages although not a requirement, should be taken into consideration.
- Availability to travel abroad based on the specific working needs of the position.
III/ The call for interest is subject to the following procedure:
- To submit a short application letter, and Curriculum Vitae (EUROPASS format, 6 pages at most), should be submitted to the Chair of the LifeWatch ERIC General Assembly email@example.com with also Cc to the CEO firstname.lastname@example.org. Closing date for receipt of applications: June 15th, 2019.
- Shortlisted candidates will be contacted directly by the LifeWatch ERIC Chair of the General Assembly as Chair of the Recruitment Committee.
- Candidates may be called for an interview with the LifeWatch ERIC Chief Technology Officer Recruitment Committee. This Recruitment Committee will provide the CEO with a short-list of a maximum of three candidates, and a summary of the information supporting its decision and the qualifications of the different candidates. The CEO will select the candidate awarding the position, and will report to the General Assembly on his decision and the overall selection procedure.
- Start date in office for the appointed Director: September 1st, 2019.
 65 years-old in Spain.
 The candidates are kindly advised to submit an annex with all the sources (e.g. lists of: dissertations, publications, events attended, etc.) that address the above 10 requirements.
 Special note for Italian market: According to Italian Privacy Protection Law n. 196/03 any resume not mentioning explicitly the following wording: ‘I authorize the use of my personal data in accordance with Italian Privacy Protection Law (30/06/2003, n. 196/03)’ will be automatically deleted from our database and consequently not taken into consideration.
 Composed by the Chair of the General Assembly, CEO, and at least another representative of the Executive Board of Directors.